fiesta0618
Club Member
Name: Brian Freitas
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies Played: Space Marines (Crimson Fists)

Re: Vanguard Veterans

Dec 14th, 2016

Sounds like Claws are a thing. Have at it!

Somervillain
Name: Tom Egge
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual
Armies Played: Salamanders

Dec 14th, 2016

Single claw is fun statistically, but in practicality it only really matters for VanVets, it's not like people are playing veteran sgts with power swords that often. Now if honor guard could do it, or maybe a Force Claw for librarians that would be cool.

Anacrucis
Name: Dave R
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies Played: BA, RG, Nids, Eldar, imperium

Dec 14th, 2016

Graphs are awesome.

So 30 points for 2 claws on my Blood Angels VVs was too much. 10 points for the same thing on my RGs is totally doable.

Also the graphs make me feel much better about putting only 1 claw on my 30k terminators. I know that's apples to pears but it's good to know that single claws outperform swords by that significant of a margin.

Would single claws with shields be totally awkward? I think it makes sense to have some shields in the squad to deflect some damage but does it make sense to keep them low cost and ablative, or to invest in high cost weapons (TH) for them since they're the most survivable? Would giving the shield bearers axes (the poor man's thunder hammer) make sense as middle ground? Or is seeking middle ground counter to the all-in nature of investing in melee?

Somervillain

Dec 15th, 2016

I think claw-and-shield makes sense, since you're not losing any attacks that way, while power axes and bolt-pistol guys can hide behind and get some solid attacks in. 20 points for the claw/fist guy is pretty tempting too.

Fenris_Frost
Standard Bearer
Name: Rob W.
Armies Played: Space Wolves

Dec 15th, 2016

I use Claw and Shield all the time. It is less a choice for me because Wolf Claws are +1 Strength as well as AP3 Shred, but I've never been unhappy with the re-roll to wound.

Anacrucis

Dec 16th, 2016

Somervillain wrote:I think claw-and-shield makes sense, since you're not losing any attacks that way, while power axes and bolt-pistol guys can hide behind and get some solid attacks in. 20 points for the claw/fist guy is pretty tempting too.

I'm not really getting the claw/fist thing. I mean you get the extra attack but don't you have to pick which one to use?

MrScotty
Name: Scott Mechler
Armies Played: Harlequins Orks Admech Guar

Dec 17th, 2016

Yes, you have to pick. But that allows you to be S8 ap2 vs say a terminator or tank or S4 AP3 at initiative vs another marine.

Anacrucis

Dec 17th, 2016

MrScotty wrote:Yes, you have to pick. But that allows you to be S8 ap2 vs say a terminator or tank or S4 AP3 at initiative vs another marine.

I can see the worth of that on a character who might leverage that flexibility by challenging.

Somervillain

Dec 17th, 2016

Apparently it's a pretty popular thing to do on Smashfucker, since he gets a 3++ without having to take a storm shield. (Gorgons chain)

Anacrucis

Dec 19th, 2016

So tonight I built the Claw squad

Sgt clawfist
2x clawshields
2x clawclaws

Return to “Tactics and Army Lists”